Mouth Ulcers – Symptoms, Causes and Treatment
Mouth ulcers are painful sores that appears in the mouth usually inside of the cheek. You may experience discomfort especially when you eat or drink and even when you brush your teeth. Mouth ulcers are harmless and clear up on their own. Seek medical advice, if it last for more than 3 weeks. This article contains information on the symptom, causes and the treatment for the same.
- A sore or sores in your mouth, tongue or inside of the cheek that are painful
- Sore that are round or oval in shape and grey or white in color with reddish border/edge.
In severe cases, you may also experience;
- Swollen nodes
- Tingling sensation in mouth
- Viral infection
- Consuming too much cidic and citrus fruits like oranges, lemons, tomatoes and strawberries.
- Sometimes because of sharp tooth surface or a dental appliance like braces or dentures that are not properly fit may also cause ulcers.
- Deficiency of certain vitamins and minerals (Vitamin B-12, folic acid, zinc or iron).
- Food allergies
- Mouth injury
- Hormonal imbalance
- Certain medications may cause reaction leading to mouth ulcer.
Mouth ulcers often clear up on their own within couple of days, but there are some measures that help you cure ulcers soon.
- When brushing, use a soft toothbrush.
- Avoid hard food like toast and stick to soft diet.
- Mix equal quantity of water and hydrogen peroxide solution, apply to the ulcers with a cotton swab 2-3 times a day.
- Gargling with salt water can make you feel intense at first, but it will help in reducing pain.
- Reduce stress by doing some relaxing activities like yoga, meditation or exercises.
- Moreover, your dentist/physician may prescribe you an anti microbial ointment or solution that will reduce pain and cure soon.
- Avoid spicy and acidic foods that irritate your mouth like pickles and chutneys.
- Brush your teeth with soft bristled toothbrush
- Seek medical advice to determine whether you are suffering from any vitamin and mineral deficiency.
- Eat healthy and balanced diet and also exercise regularly to avoid stress.