Web content management system is a system software. It helps you maintain the data of website in a computer. Content management system comprises digital content creating, publishing, altering and modifying. The main advantage of this software is no need of writing code for website. Today, there are many tools are available for web content management. Basically they are come under three categories. Those are as follows:
- Offline processing systems: These are also know as backing systems and static site generators. These are not required any server to process the content. All the design, themes, content can apply offline within this software. After the editing is done can deploy into the website.
- Online processing systems: Online processing systems are also called frying systems. These are mostly based on open-source. These systems will generate the code when the visitor is enter into the website. There are so many tools available to extend these software for different purposes like supports for blogs, forums, web stores etc. The extensions are also know as add-ons, widgets, modules, nodes, etc.
- Hybrid processing systems: The hybrid processing systems are the combination of both offline and online processing system.
These are available free from both open-source and from service providers. Now we will discuss how to select a suitable content management system for your website.
- Tips to choose content management system
- Need analysis: First, analyze your internal content processing type and the requirement for a content management system. In particular, you have to know about the functionality of the software.
- Review the available tools: There are many tools from open-source and commercial available. Each one have its own pros and cons. So, while review a content management tool remember that it reflects your business goals and objectives.
- Maintenance and resources check: Even you are planning to implement a open-source tool it will take a lot of time, and investment of your organization in the form of training the employees on the new tool, required infrastructure and the deploy the content into the tool. So before you take it implement or test drive it to test by a small team or with available resources.
- Document your requirements: Make a document of your requirements for digital content management systems requirement. Business needs are the primary driver for your strategy to choose a best one. So start with it and then look for the additional features available from the short listed.
- Tool selection: After you made the requirements document based on the test drive with your internal team, make the best suitable list. From that list analyze for the final one.
- Common errors: There are some common errors committed by people. Make sure to avoid them. Some of the more important common mistakes are as follows.
- Do not skip the content strategy. It helps to select the best suitable for test the software.
- Test all the features available in the software. But remember focus on the main strategy and the outcomes from the process.
Before going to purchase a web content management tool, check with your internal usage tool if you have it, and make sure the problems arise from it do not come on the new software.