Skin allergy usually occurs when there is irritation or rash. This can be seen in people who have sensitive skin. In medical terms, hypersensitivity (antigen-antibody reactions) causes skin allergies and intake of some food also causes skin allergies. Other causes for skin allergies are applying skin creams for the first time, exposing to sun for a long time, deficiency of some vitamins, etc.
Skin allergies that are generally seen in children are ring worms, chicken pox rashes, allergies around mouth and nose (impetigo), allergies due to heat in summer (prickly heats), contact dermatitis (allergy due to touching some food or substances), etc.
Skin allergies in adults include, psoriasis (rashes on skin), shingles (rashes due to chicken pox), allergies nearby lips due to some viral infections, etc.
Vitamins that will help heal allergies
Vitamins like A, E,C, K and D will help in reducing skin allergies.
- Vitamin A is the best vitamin for maintaining healthy skin. It rejuvenates new cells and improves blood circulation.
- Vitamins E, C, K are rich in antioxidants that act effectively against damage due to UV rays. They reduce skin allergies and act effectively against the damage.
- Vitamin D also protects against UV damage and reduces skin irritation.
- Vitamin B helps in healing skin allergies by reducing swelling and irritation around allergy or rashes.
How to get rid of skin allergies
- Include vitamin A, C, E, K and D in your diet as they are considered good for healing skin allergies. They are found in fruits like apples, oranges, red berries, avocados, etc., and vegetables like broccoli, spinach, cabbage, etc.
- Before applying any cream to your skin, get it tested.
- Avoid food that are sensitive to skin. Avoid food like egg, soya, shell-fish, etc., during allergy.
- If your skin is sensitive to sun exposure, use sunscreens when going out, make sure it is tested before use.
- Take multivitamin supplements containing vitamin A, C, D, E so that they reduce skin allergies.
- Some skin diseases like dermatitis also increase irritation on skin. Proper medication of this disease will help in healing the allergy.
- Maintaining hygienic environment during infections like chicken pox, herpes, measles, etc., is necessary as chances of recurrence is high.
- Wear clothes that absorb less heat, especially during summer, as heat increases chances of irritation.
- Drink liquids like lemon juice or peppermint juice as they have healing property of irritation. They cool your body and reduce the pain.
- Best home remedy is apply turmeric on the allergy as it has anti bacterial properties and prevents infection from spreading.