There are an endless array of options available in selecting colors to paint your house but which color to choose is a bit confused one and can be a challenge to homeowner. Even after the homeowner has chosen the perfect color for a room, he faces another challenge in deciding which paint finish is to be selected from many finishes.
Color is not only the important one when planning your paint project but also the finish you consider for your home determines how well architectural details can be seen, how much light reflects off the walls and how easy it is to clean the walls. The process of painting is a quick and cheap way to give an old room a breath of fresh air or to make your house more attractive for selling.
Here are the following tips in picking the perfect paint color and finish for your home:
- Mingle your choice of paint colors with the rest of the decor. Consider the flooring, set of furniture, artifacts and other furnishings. If you have no idea for coordinating, then you can do this with the help of contractor.
- Seek inspiration from interior design magazines, photos, other interiors, paintings, natural scenarios to get an idea on which colors complement well with others.
- Never paint same color every time. Try out some home painting work so that you have an idea about your room in its new color.
- Sometimes there will be a slight difference in color chips and swathes that you have selected. So, better to consult contractor to avoid confusion.
- Sometimes colors look different in different lighting. So, better to take the sample in the rooms and check how the color is looking in the different shades of light.
Other than the colors you selects for your home paint finish also plays an important role. Below are some of the finishes for your interior.
- Matte finish or flat finish or wall paint are the interior paint that has a matte surface and are used on interior walls. It is especially good if your wall has small bumps, cracks, or other imperfections because this finish does not reflect light.
- Flat enamel is a durable flat with matte finish. It is a good choice for powder rooms and halls, as it holds up to occasional cleaning.
- Egg shell finish appears slight hint of shine or gloss, it’s good for walls and holds up better with cleaning than a flat finish paint.
- Satin finish paint is mostly used for windows, doors, trim, or ceilings, but can also be used as wall paint. This paint has a smooth, velvety look with a bit more gloss. This is particularly suitable for kids’ room walls, kitchens, or bathrooms, or in areas which get a lot of traffic.
- Semi-Gloss paint is painted on doors, trim, and cabinets in kitchens and bathrooms. It is easily cleaned and lays down a nice, subtle shine, without being too glitzy.
- Glossy paints have an almost reflective quality, as their shiny finish mimics the look of enamel or plastic. This finish will magnify any surface imperfections, so careful preparation and sanding is essential before painting with high gloss paints.