Debit cards are used in many countries and has become so widespread that their volume of use has been replaced the cheques and some cash transactions. These cards also allow you for the instant withdrawl of cash from your bank account. Debit cards acts like ATM cards and may be used to obtain cash from an ATM or a PIN-based transaction at no extra charge.
There are many problems faced by banking customers in protecting their debit cards. It is the PIN that posses the identity theft. Any identity thief can access your bank account when he obtains your PIN number illegally. Here are some important tips to be followed to protect your debit cards.
- Never write your PIN number on your debit card.
- Memorize your PIN and it is best to choose a PIN that is easy to remember.
- Avoid swiping your debit cards in public places filled with crowd.
- Cover your hand to shield your PIN, when punching your PIN number into keypad.
- Don’t use your birth dates, telephone numbers, address for your PIN number as it is easily detected when your card is stolen.
- Don’t use your debit cards at gas pumps, as they are prime targets for skimmers, especially those operating in warmer climates.
Debits cards are lost in many ways but the main common issue that is responsible for debit card theft is “skimming”. It is done using a specific entry logging applications which consist of magnetic strip reader. These skimmers will use a pinhole camera to get a recording of your PIN. Thus they gain access to your bank accounts when they capture your PIN. So, the best way to protect yourself from being a victim of debit card identity thieves is done by protecting your PIN while using your cards. Keep following the above tips to protect your debit cards.