Maintaining oral hygiene by appropriate dental care is essential for one and all. However, this should be considered more important for pregnant women. Certain hormonal changes during pregnancy can cause various dental problems like gingivitis and scaling. It is, therefore, necessary for pregnant women to follow some tips for dental care.
- Plaque build up and food particles should be cleaned daily by regular brushing and flossing. It is better to use a soft bristled toothbrush to clean the teeth as well as the gums. This avoids occurrence of any dental problems. Also, the chances of gingivitis, which is more common during pregnancy, can be lessened.
- Check for the inflammation, tenderness or gum bleeding. Painless red lumps called pregnancy tumors are common but are not dangerous. Cleaning the excess plaque build up during second or early trimester can reduce such swellings. They also disappear completely after delivery.
- Vomiting may be common during pregnancy. Remember to rinse your mouth with water soon after vomiting. Avoid brushing immediately to avoid the wearing of enamel. Using sodium bicarbonate solution for rinsing the teeth is much more helpful as it may remove any acidic components of plaque.
- Regularly go for a dental checkup. Follow the dentist instructions to keep your teeth and gum free from diseases throughout the pregnancy. Consulting your dentist at the appropriate time intervals during pregnancy also avoids other dental issues in future.
- Follow a balanced healthy diet with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. Avoid taking foods with excessive sugar compounds.
- Stop smoking as it enhances the conditions of gum disease.
Be sure to follow these tips for dental care during pregnancy.