Oral health of the person is important as it in turn enhances the mental and physical health. Dental veneers, in particular porcelain veneers give perfection to your teeth and smile. However, a proper care and maintenance of porcelain veneers is essential. Here are some tips for caring your porcelain veneers after the procedure.
- Immediately after the procedure, you need to avoid taking hard foods. Porcelain veneers are sensitive to temperatures following the application. So, extreme hot or cold foods should not be taken for about two weeks.
- Once, the healing period is completed, continuous flossing is required for porcelain veneers like the natural teeth. This helps to maintain the gum health and removes loose food particles and plaque.
- Use a soft brush for cleaning the veneers. Brush your teeth twice or thrice a day to avoid tooth decay and other dental problems.
- The resin cement that helps in bonding the veneer to the teeth gets dissolved by alcohol. Hence, you should avoid alcohol consumption.
- A person having porcelain veneers and any other dental implants should avoid the habit of smoking, as the nicotine present in it damages the health of the gum.
- Avoid habits of eating excessive snacks. Even if you take snacks, it is better to floss and clean immediately to remove any small food particles.
- It is also better to avoid substances such as red wine, tea, coffee and others that are responsible for discoloration, though the porcelain veneers are stain resistant.
- Grinding the teeth is a common habit for many people. It should be avoided in order to prevent the chipping or wear down of teeth.
- Sports people having porcelain veneers should use athletic mouth guards. This is necessary to avoid excess pressures and forces on veneers.
- Regular checkups and professional cleanings have to be scheduled.
Porcelain veneers are one of the procedures of cosmetic dentistry. By following the above guidelines, you can make the veneer application successful.